Women in the Trades
In 2019 CSA's Building Futures Pre-Apprenticeship Program received the Women in Apprenticeship and Non-Traditional Occupations (WANTO) grant from the Department of Labor - Women’s Bureau. This grant has allowed us to host FREE 6-week female-only pre-apprenticeship cohorts in partnership with area apprenticeship programs, whose expertise in the crafts is unparalleled and complements what we offer. These cohorts are specifically designed to assist women interested in the construction trades to be successful in long term well-paying careers. Women only make up 3% of the construction industry and we are working to change that!
What is Pre-Apprenticeship and Apprenticeship?
Interested in Applying to Building Futures Pre-Apprenticeship Program for Women?
To be eligible you must...
- Drug free, including marijuana
- DC or Maryland resident
- Be 21 years or older
- Be able to lift up to 40 lbs
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have a valid drivers license or learners permit
- Be interested in a career in the trades!
Are you a woman interested in sharing your experience with other women entering the trades? Are you just getting into the trades and looking for community and guidance? Then you're a good candidate for our mentorship program! We are looking for both mentors and mentees. There are no special requirements, just a desire to join a community of women in the skilled trades. If you are interested, please fill out the form in the link below.
- Woman’s Guide to Construction Careers
- DC Area Women in the Trades Facebook
- Quick Overview of Types of Trades
- Legal Assistance:
- Sisters in the Building Trades
- Women Build Nations, an annual conference for women in the trades
- Pride and a Paycheck
- National Taskforce on Tradeswomen Issues
- Tradeswomen Tuesday, a bi-monthly blog post featuring women in the trades
- What do to if you’re being harassed at work
- Coalition of Labor Union Women (CLUW)